- Family Date --did it....I SO need ideas for things to do as a family, but we went to the mall and walked around as a family on January 23rd....the boy had a fruit smoothie, the girl had dippin' dots
- Family Game Night --January 30, 2011
- Date Night # 1 -- turned out to be more of a date morning
- Date Night # 2 -- this was a big woo hoo...we went to a Bed and Breakfast which I wrote about here
- Weekly Get Organized Wizard Project
- week one, I filled up two huge bags of trash
- week two, I organized my purse
- week three, I organized our bill paying notebook (perfect timing...filed away 2010)
- week four, I re-thunk how I look at "freebies" and will try to evaluate them by the amount of physical and mental clutter they take up
- Begin listing for Project 333
- This project is harder than you think...first of all, I kept procrastinating. Finally, I just took everything out of my main closet. I told myself I could box things up because getting rid of it forever and always, amen, made me crazy nervous. I came up with a trial 33 items for my closet. Then, I have 43 other items in my closet hanging at a divider line in case I change my mind. I boxed up a bunch in a HUGE box....added it to another box of clothes I put away some time ago (because they don't fit....they are my skinny clothes). I have another closet that holds my winter clothes (with some "when I lose weight" clothes). The clothes in my closet currently are mixed between short sleeves and long sleeves, and I included some "in home lounge wear" which technically does not need to be included. While there is a ton of work to be done....I feel like I did take a giant step! P.S. do NOT even get me started on shoes. I didn't include the shoes in my count at all.
- 3 Easy Changes from Kitchen Stewardship
- The butter was a no-brainer. I had already been buying it semi regularly since first reading Katie's blog. It is just a matter of only using butter....but that's really ok with me.
- Whole eggs and full fat dairy. I'm still nervous about the full fat milk. I have been drinking skim milk for YEARS. More than the fat, I'm nervous about the taste or texture. Is that silly? I mostly use whole eggs as it is. I have been guilty of buying egg beaters, but I'm ok with just using eggs. I'm even trying to buy more so I'll be sure to eat them more. Thing is....I don't think about eating them for another meal besides breakfast. Sure, I could add a hard boiled egg to a salad or just have them as a snack. But other than breakfast, I don't think about eating them. AND....I'm not a big breakfast eater. I tried to make it a habit to have Katie's scrambled eggs. I bought the spinach, cut it into chunks and froze it. I even found a spoonula, like she recommends. Granted, these are some good eggs. But....can I eat these several days a week? I have made the eggs a few times. But, I would like to add more since they are so good for me.
- Eat more yogurt and beans. So, the 32 ounce tub of yogurt has been a "staple" of mine for several months. This was an upgrade for me (see Katie's baby steps) from the little cups of yogurt. I dip some out and add some cereal. I actually prefer eating my cereal this way now over using milk. As I mentioned, I am not a big breakfast eater...but I try to have this MOST days. I try to make a mental note to have it as a snack if I didn't have breakfast (such as the days I had the eggs). Why is this so hard? And the beans...we have had beans at least once a week....some weeks even more. I am excited about a book Katie will be offering us in February.
- Lose 10 pounds--ummm.....about that....I am pretty sure you have to be actually doing something to lose weight. I am not on any diet, per se, so I am not seeing the scale move much at all. I am reading this book and journaling or doing the exercises. This is slow going, but it is really good stuff!!!
- Start yoga class--money is the problemo here. I ended up spending some money on the big date and wanted to stash some cash in the savings account (see below), so the yoga class kept getting pushed to the next week...
- Read 2 books--I read several books at once and this month, while I am close to finishing a couple books...I technically did NOT read 2 whole books this month
- Journal 3 times a week -- the first week, I only squeezed in two journal sessions but they were really good sessions. The second, third, and fourth, I got three in
- "Me Time"--ok, so this is an interesting one! I am participating in the 52 Weeks of Me Challenge. I blogged something each week here, here, here, and here. In the process, I started listing some ideas to add to my list. While reading others blog posts, I learned that I am already doing some good things that would be considered "me time." My date nights are kinda "me time," right? And coming up with a quiet time, that is "me time." Even though those things are not "me all by myself time," they give me joy and energy and that is what "me time" is all about....filling my cup back up. And....and....I also have a habit of going to my local Starbucks on Sundays to read and relax and drink a warm cup of coffee. I really enjoy the atmosphere of Starbucks. This is kind of a regular habit; I've done it several weeks in a row...even throw in an additional time during the week here and there! At times, I can miss a week or several weeks in a row...but overall....
- Map out a Quiet Time plan--wrote something out but haven't really implemented anything yet
- Stow away $150 into the emergency fund
- YIKES!! I spent extra money on the Bed and Breakfast with Hubs (totally worth it, by the way) and I didn't do some of my side jobs like I had planned, so no deposit into the fund at all this month but am going to raise the amount I want to deposit next month
- Make a list of things I want to save up for
- Done! I want to keep adding to it, though....
- Explore PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Done! I wrote up some ideas for my own personal development, including habits I'd like to add and those I'd like to get rid of
--Now, I am not sure if I was just inspired by the way things were going or what...and at the risk of getting overwhelmed by adding more....opportunities came up. Some fit PERFECTLY with my year's worth of resolutions and a few were just extra but I should totally get bonus bonus points!!!--
- Kitchen Stewardship Monday Missions--I didn't plan to go head first into these. I've been reading her missions for a while and have saved some. I started with the 3 Easy Changes which was enough for me. I mentioned earlier how I was trying...but Katie started a "Back to the Basics" series and I joined in. Some of them were just reinforcing the 3 I was implementing:
- Reusable Containers for Restaurants--this was easy peasy! I have a bag of a few containers riding around in my car. (Note: This was inspiring and easy....so I am working on making one for my husband's car....I also put reusable shopping bags in both cars)
- Make Homemade Yogurt--ok....I have been reading about Katie's beliefs and adventures with homemade yogurt for many months now. I thought about it but really considered the 32 ounce tub to be "good enough." But I thought I could give it a shot. I made it on a smaller scale...or rather, I should say I attempted to make it on a smaller scale. It flopped! After all that I read from her, I just knew it was "fail proof." I think I didn't cool the milk enough to the incubation temperature (it was to be between 90 and 120 degrees). I think I was too impatient before adding the yogurt starter, thinking it was cool enough...so it killed the bacteria that multiplies in the warm milk. Maybe I'll try again in the near future. I was so disappointed in myself!
- Learn to Use Dry Beans--I am in between occasional bean user and canned bean lover on her baby steps list. As I mentioned above, beans are doing okay in our weekly usage. I could bump it up a time or two. I need to keep it forefront on my mind. Katie is coming out with a bean recipe book in February. I printed out the recipe preview, and I will be getting her book.
- Refocus on Healthy Fats--this one, again, was already rocking along okay with me. I have butter in the fridge. I have coconut oil in the pantry. I already avoid trans fat. I could eat more eggs, walnuts, and avocados....or, I could consider getting some tallow.
- Joined a Bible Study at my church. Beth Moore's "The Inheritance". My church usually has a nighttime bible study on Tuesday nights and I've been volunteering on Tuesday nights for the past three years. I don't think it is any accident that this particular study is on Monday nights. I think God really wanted me to join in....
- I purchased a will kit, which is number 8 on my ginormous to-do list. Now, I gotta complete it....
- AND we snuck in an extra family time on January 29th and 30th....we had some frozen yogurt at a new local joint on Friday and had a "family camp out" (we drag mattresses and sleeping bags into the living room...watch a movie together....sleep in living room) on Saturday